Why We Dive


by Ev Schultz
(No. 3)


Recent activities in the ocean reinforce why we dive…
every day is different!

A whaleshark was once again sighted near the backwall of Molokini on January 17th, making a half dozen or more sightings within the last 6 months.  While these sightings are rare, they’re also amazing encounters.  Whalesharks are typically not bothered by the commotion of divers and snorkelers in the water around them ….that is --- until someone grabs their tail.  Then they're GONE!

On January 26th bottlenose dolphin were active at Molokini, and on February 6th our divers saw a large pod of spinner dolphin up close during their dive at Pinnacle Point.  While these are wild animals and can be unpredictable, they are often curious and playful.  One bottlenose dolphin named “King” was a former navy dolphin and is a regular in the area.  He has been seen laying on his back in the sand near the wreck of the St. Anthony watching our divers.  He once approached Kim upright underwater, and while nose to nose appreciating each other he gave her a light bump with his rostrum (nose) as if to kiss her goodbye.

A big Monk Seal joined the dive on January 27th along with 7 spotted eagle rays and a manta.  This Monk Seal has been a regular along the west coast of Maui for the past month now.  Dave and Zoe (our avid surfers) were waiting for their next wave set by Thousand Peaks when a large Monk Seal popped up next to them with a puffer fish she had been playing with and eating.  She looked into Dave’s eyes and chucked the puffer fish to him, and went about her business.  Zoe spotted her Monk Seal again at Cove Park while surfing last week.  She was zipping in and out of surfers, eating more puffers.

Billy is famous for helping critters in distress.  Mantas will come up to him as if to say, "would you please remove this fish hook and line for me."  With his gentle touch and handy dive knife, he is able to accommodate their needs.  Recently, Dave and Kim encountered a 4' White Tip Reef Shark at Hawaiian Reef who was in trouble.  It had a large hook in his mouth and the line was wrapped around a concrete brick which he was barely dragging.  They didn't feel the shark could have lasted more than and hour or two in that condition.  The block caught on the reef and the shark was thrashing to free itself with no luck.  Dave was able to cautiously reach the line and free it from the brick.  The fish hook is still in the mouth of the shark… better that than Dave’s hand.

Let's go Diving .......... Ev Schultz

Ev Schultz is an integral part of ERDA. She has managed the booking office for over nine years and is constantly being praised by our customers for her warm and friendly manor while dealing with our diver's needs.

Photo-Zoom Images by Randsco